Saturday, February 23, 2008

Brown Bonanza.............Jan 08

Nothing beats fly fishing with good friends. Mike is no different when it comes to jabbing and joking on a drive anywhere. I had got a call from him earlier in the week trying to decide on where to go. We quickly decided and met up on a Saturday Morning. Corey which I have fished with in the past had joined us as well. I have fished with Cor one other time and Mike has fished with him on a number of outings. Mike had just got back from a deployment to Iraq and he wanted to get out and jump right back into fishing as he did before he left. While on the drive up we talked about some of his experience over in Iraq and the seriousness quickly led to some joking and jabbing which isn't unusual when we drive together on any outing. The day started as a bluebird day and no wind to speak of. I had a feeling that this day would be very different. I couldn't put my finger on it but its was something I couldn't explain. Once we got to or destination we quickly met up with Bryan, Chris, and Cary. We spoke for a bit, exchanged some flies and we decided to fish upstream while they would fish below us. Only later did we find out that Chris had broke his ankle and they left. Chris I hope the leg is feeling better and your out swing'n your stick. It was nice to met you guys.

We rigged up at the truck and walked upstream to our 1st hole which has always produced for us. I wasn't finished rigging so once we got to the spot I put on a Blood Worm and a Glow Bug. Being that these fish were in the post spawn mode I knew they would be hungry. Mike and Cor decided to look over the run and said they thought they seen about 60 Browns stacked up tightly in this short run. Now I usually don't start with any Glow Bug but something told me to do it so I did. While Mike and Cor were finishing their rigging I jumped in to the back edge of the run and made a cast. I was rewarded with a nice 17" brown on the first cast. It had took the Glow Bug. I was somewhat surprised and I knew it was going to be a killer day. Mike was up next and he caught his first..a nice 24" pig. Then Cor caught one as well. We fished this run for about 2 hours before deciding to give the run a rest and we would return after fishing upstream. We did well on some of the other pools and riffle water and returned late in the afternoon and gave it another shot. This time Cor decided to climb up the opposite bank where there was a cliff and he could see down the run and all of the fish in it. As I was casting Cor would direct me on where the school of Browns were located and I adjusted my casting to his directions. Mike got into the run and got a few as well. After a few more fish Mike decided to climb up to where Cory was sitting and he decided to climb down and get a few more also. It was a great day with friends for sure. Below are some of the day caught on film by Cory. Thanks again guys and we'll do it again soon!

Photo’s courtesy of Corey K.

Mike's Brown
Mike's 24" Pig!
The Release!

The End of the Day.

A Glow Bug victim.
From Corey's vantage point.
Another nice Brown.
Solid Fish Mike!!
The 24" Beast

Walking up to the next hole.
Afternoon Brown.
Another Nice one!

Egg Eater!

Mike's Nice 24" Brut.


Scott said...

Great blog! I look forward to reading more. Nice pics.

pat said...

Thanks Scott. Look foward to more in the future. Lets hook up and fish bro.;)